Saturday, August 09, 2008

From the "Things That Should Still Be There" files...


I give you, the deconstruction of the Mary Blair mural in Tomorrowland. Sad photos I just came across in my files. The mural was something I loved so much and I was so sad to see it come down. (I have chunks of it... or so they were given to me as. Never knew if they were real and always doubted they were... but one can hope!) There's not much to say about these, except to say the sweetness was sucked out of Tomorrowland when it went. But, I do look ahead to an eventual wonderful Tomorrowland (one day) that actually has everything to do with tomorrow. That'd rock.

In order to lessen the slightly sad nature of this post however, I will supersize today's post with a bright shot of color with this Mary Blair delight! It's lovely, even off of a wall, isn't it?

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow. Well, this helps solve the mystery of the rumor that the murals still existed intact beneath the Star Tours facade. Obviously *some* of the murals are there, although they have been mutilated in a rather drastic manner.

I loved Tomorrowland of that era, but without Mary Blair's murals it would have been a bit cold and joyless. Like it is now, come to think of it!

Thank you for sharing these pics (and for the repost of the Mother Goose image)!

TokyoMagic! said...

Just came across your blog! Very sad photos indeed. I heard Tony Baxter speak at a convention in 1997 or 1998 about the upcoming "New Tomorrowland" of 1998. The question came up about this mural and he said that they "tried to remove the tiles so they could be saved", but that they "started to crumble", so they just covered over it. He said that the only damage done was to the couple tiles where they had tried to remove it and a "few holes" they had to punch in it for the framework for the new mural. He said basically the rest of it was just sitting underneath waiting for some "future archeological uncovering" I say shame on you Tony Baxter! Shame! Shame! Shame!

Thanks for the info. confirming what I had always feared.

Tinker Bell said...

You're welcome! :)
Well, assuming the chunks I have of the mural are real, they don't look to me like they're very fragile. I could be wrong, I don't know. I can post photos of them if anyone is interested.
I have never been a fan of Disney corporate propaganda. Truth is always the way, imo, even if people don't like it. Maybe I'm idealistic, but I always have more respect for truthful people.